Living a human existence can be stressful. No matter where in the world you life today, rich and poor alike and all of us in-between feel the shattering effects of stress. At this moment in history, in the United States, many sit on the edge of panic, struggling with a financial crisis that few saw coming.
Some years ago, two psychiatrists at the University of Washington Medical School devised a scale of stressful life events, some good, some bad, all stressful. They called it the “Social Readjustment Rating Scale” with the number one stressor, the death of a spouse, rated at 100 units. Even vacations and Christmas make the list as number 41 and 42 with stress racking up 13 and 12 units each.
It was interesting to note that in the list of 43 items, over one third were related to work, job, business, finance, “boss” or money. The research found that of those whose “Life Change Units: were more than 300 units within a year, 80% would get sick in the near future. the fewer stressful life situations, the less illness!
Let’s just say we begin with a healthy body but watch the dominoes tumble anyway…
- First stress enters into the picture, unending, unremitting – job related, financial, family injury– all of the above.
- And the body reacts: the adrenals are triggered to dump acidic battery-acid-like cortisol producing the powerful “fight or flight” response which continues to trigger as long as there is stress.
- Then acidic cytokine hormones are released systemically and because there is no specific point of injury (a broken bone, a poisonous bite) never turn “off” the stream of acid it’s dumping.
- The body pH, normally slightly alkaline, now is acidic causing an acidic mouth (canker sores, cavities), hyper-acidic stomach (indigestion, acid reflux), acidic small intestines (poor assimilation, mal-nutrition) and poor elimination due to lack of peristaltic action.
- Toxins from acidic fecal matter back up into the blood stream forcing the body to steal sodium from the stomach lining (leading to more digestive problems) and then calcium from the bones (osteoporosis) to buffer the blood back to slightly alkaline (7.2 to 7.4) – any slight deviation could mean death.
- The bod’ys acid terrain is now the perfect breeding ground for disease-causing microbes to proliferate as well as parasites, yeast and fungus.
- Unending fatigue sets in somewhere along the line with aches and pains as the body tries to deal with acid causing inflammation.
- When the vital signs are affected (heart beat/pulse, respiration, blood pressure and core temperature) we know we’re in trouble!
- Invading forces, in response to the acidic system are ready to finish the fob of breaking down the cellular structure so it can return to “dust”.
Because of “disease care” training, the typical allopathic remedy is a drug for each symptom. The health-care practitioner offers herbs and supplement, again treatment for the symptoms. no one is looking for the root cause of the acid flood. And the people continue to perish as they pop sometimes dozens of pills a day or, as in my own case, 90 herbs put up daily in three snack baggies.
Here is a two-step plan to reverse the domino effect:
- Pinpoint stress factors in your life and find workable ways to resolve them.
- Consider adding “stress relievers” to your daily routine:
- Early morning walks – take your mate, your friend, your dog
- Exercise groups – yoga, tai chi, aerobics, the gym, tennis, golf – get moving!
- Relaxation techniques – meditation, biofeedback, massage, a warm bath…
- Practice positive thinking – more helpful than you’d ever imagine!
- Read a good book
- TURN OF THE TV
- Find someone you can share with/talk to
- Simplify your life – slow down
- Help someone worse off than you – pay it forward!
- Laugh more
- Eat better
- Get to bed earlier – sufficient sleep is a healer
Stress is a killer that, once recognized, and with a simple plan in place, is 100% reversible. You’ve heard it all before – NOW DO IT!